Laparoscopic Surgery from our Fuquay Varina Veterinarian
Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery offers many benefits over traditional surgery. We are proud to say that Hilltop Animal Hospital is one of the first veterinary hospitals in the Fuquay Varina area to offer minimally invasive procedures. Our veterinary doctor uses the most modern surgical instruments and techniques currently available. Laparoscopic methods allow our doctors to insert a thin, fiber-optic camera and specialized surgical instruments into the body without the need for conventional incisions. The benefits of our minimally invasive surgery approach include:
- Smaller incisions
- Faster recovery time
- Less pain
- Safer procedures
- Smaller doses of pain medication
Some of the procedures that can commonly be performed with minimally invasive techniques are:
- Ovariectomy or spaying
- Cryptorchid testicle removal
- Laparoscopic-assisted gastropexy
- Liver biopsy
- Exploratory surgery
- Bladder stone removal
- Prophylactic gastropexy
Not every pet or condition can be best helped with laparoscopic surgery. Our Fuquay Varina veterinarian determine the best course of treatment for your pet after a comprehensive examination.
Orthopedic Surgery from our Fuquay Varina Veterinarian
At Hilltop Animal Hospital we offer our patients the finest care for musculoskeletal conditions, including elective and non-elective orthopedic surgical procedures when they are necessary. Surgical procedures performed by our veterinarians include:
- Cruciate ligament surgery (tibial plateau leveling osteotomy, TightRope and extracapsular)
- Diagnostic hip evaluations (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals)
- Fracture repair
- Hip surgery (femoral head osteotomy)
- Oral maxillofacial surgery
- Patella luxations
Routine and Elective Surgery
The purpose of routine or elective surgery is to treat underlying conditions and prevent future injury or disease. We maintain a state-of-the-art surgical suite in order to accommodate the wide variety of routine surgeries our experienced veterinarians perform.
- Cesarean sections — C-sections can be emergency procedures or planned surgeries
- Cytotomy — Bladder stone removal becomes necessary when buildup of minerals and proteins crystallizes and becomes a small but painful mass
- Dental surgery — Our highly skilled surgical team can help improve your pet’s health and extend its life through dental cleaning and surgery.
- Eye surgery — Our doctors consult with expert ophthalmologists to ensure your pet receives the most comprehensive care possible.
- Foreign body removal — Occasionally, foreign objects become lodged in the stomach, soft tissues and intestines and require surgical removal.
- Gastropexies — These are typically performed on large- and giant-breed dogs to reduce their risk of developing gastric dilation and volvulus syndrome.
- Intestinal and liver biopsy — To diagnose cancer, small pieces of liver or intestinal tissue must be surgically removed and examined.
- Limb amputation — Disease or injury may require the removal of one or more of a pet’s limbs.
- Spay and neuter — Sterilization techniques to control pet population and prevent undesirable behaviors in both male and female pets.
- Splenectomies (removal of the spleen) — Numerous conditions can cause the need for spleen removal, such as cancer, torsion, infections and noncancerous masses.
- Wound care — Some wounds are severe enough to require surgical intervention.
For more information about types of surgery and the surgical procedures our Fuquay Varina veterinarian performs, call our office at (919) 567-9700. Our entire team at Hilltop Animal Hospital is waiting to serve you.