Pet poisoning happens every day, with more than 213,000 calls to ASPCA’s Animal Control Center every day. Many of the poisonings are accidents that may happen when your pet is outside, but many of the incidents involve over-the-counter drugs, household plants, fertilizer, insecticides, cleaners, or even “people” food. At Hilltop Animal Hospital, we offer veterinarian care to our patients in Fuquay Varina. Although not all emergency veterinary visits are avoidable, we work to mitigate as many avoidable vet care situations at our hospital as possible. With special care, awareness, and pre-planning, we hope to avoid animal hospital emergencies related to toxic ingestion.
What Are the Signs of Pet Poisoning?
For inhaled poisons, your pet may experience drooling, coughing, difficulty breathing, and even a coma or unconsciousness. If your cat or dog ingested a poison, he or she may experience staggering, twitching, ulcers, convulsions, or lethargy. Your pet may also start to vomit or have diarrhea, but he or she may just become extremely restless. Contact with poison may present as skin irritation. In severe cases, the hives may cause pain and swelling. The area may become red, blistered, and even bleeding.
What Should You Do If Your Pet Has Been Poisoned?
While the first step is to determine what toxic ingestion has affected your pet, it’s also important to wear protective equipment to keep safe. Here are some tips for what to do when you know or suspect that your pet has been affected by toxic ingestion.
- Call your veterinarian at Hilltop Animal Hospital in Fuquay Varina to discuss your pet’s condition and the recommended course of action.
- Depending on the toxic ingestion, the vet may recommend that you induce vomiting or encourage your pet to drink water.
- We may recommend that you carefully wash your pet to remove the poison from his skin.
We also work to accommodate your busy schedule. We know how important it is for you to bring your pet into our animal hospital for a full eval.
Next Step: Contact Hilltop Animal Hospital in Fuquay Varina
At Hilltop Animal Hospital, we know how worrisome it can be when you think your pet may be affected by toxic ingestion. Time is of great importance, particularly if an antidote is required for a meaningful recovery. If there is no antidote, we work to treat the symptoms and support normal body function via IV or other veterinary care solutions.
When you come in for your evaluation, our full focus is on gathering your pet’s medical history and determining how we can assist your pet in his or her recovery process. Your pet is a part of our family too, and we will continue to do everything we can to test for toxins, assess your pet’s health and current level of distress, as well as provide every remedy possible to support a meaningful recovery.